Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Beers around Germany


Germany is the capital of beers, lagers, and ales. Although I prefer wine, I look forward to becoming more educated on beers. I am going to go about this venture by becoming familiar with the German beer terms and then order the most local or popular beer at every joint. I will probably get so spoiled by German beers, that I won’t want to drink the ones we have here in the states. The name of the beers are linked to a website with more information or a video.




Terms
  • Spezial: The special beer of the season or the particular brewery.
  • Edel: The superior variety of hops, which are natural preservatives used to remove excess proteins and enhance the creaminess of the beer’s foam or head.
  • Ur/Urtype: A beer made according to its original recipe.
  • Hell/Helles: The lightness in color, but not calorie count of a beer.
  • Dunkel: A dark beer.
  • Leicht: A beer lower in alcohol or calories content.

Regional Beers

Berlin: Berliner Weisse (“Champagne of the North”)
Alcohol Level: 2.8% alcohol
Features: Tart and fruity, but is typically sweetened by a shot of raspberry “waldmeister” syrup
Color: Dark-golden without syrup and a cloudy maroon with the syrup
Served in a bowl-shaped glasses with a straw
Berliner Weisse


Dusseldorf: Altbier (“alt” means old)
Alcohol Level: 4.7% alcohol
Features: Medium bitterness, dry finish, and a creamy head
Color: Bronze to brown
Served in a typical beer mug.

Altbier

Cologne: Kölsch 
Alcohol Level: 4.5-5.2% alcohol
Features: pale, light-bodied, and crisp
Color: Light brown
Served in a thin, cylindrical glasses called “Stangen” (poles)
Kölsch

Bavaria: Hefeweizen (translates to “yeast wheat”)
Alcohol Level: 5.3% alcohol
Features: white foamy head with a fruity cloudy aroma
Color: Orange
Served in a tall mug with a wide lip.
Hefeweizen


LeipzigerGose Beer
Alcohol Level: 4-5% alcohol
Features: lightly sour, spiced with coriander seeds, and lightly salted 
Color: Golden brown
Served in a tall glass, but more interesting in their moulded bottle.
Gose Beer


I found another blogger who graduated from brewing school and traveled through Germany trying their local beers. His point of view is personal and fun and I encourage that you check it out at the Brewer Cameron blog. My plan by the end of August is to make a special memory with each beer I drink, so that I will never forget my incredible experience.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I loved Kolsch when I tried it in Cologne. The small glasses prevented the beer from ever getting warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this definitely would've been helpful when I was in Germany! I resorted to the point and smile approach to ordering beer there since the options are so vast and I didn't know what anything meant. But hey, I was always surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surprises are always good too. :)

    ReplyDelete